Addaction began in 1967 as an association of parents of addicts which became the Association for the Prevention of Addiction. It is now a major service providing charity staffed by professional paid workers and volunteers and manages projects around the country. Addaction's activities include the following:
• Managing projects and services including a growing number of health authorities, social services, probation services, the prison service and police forces.
• Helping drug users, their families and friends with support in working toward drug-free lives.
• Information and support for children, parents and carers.
• Training for professionals.
• Community groups.
• Services for homeless drug users.
• Influencing policy and contributing to the debate around drugs and drug related issues.
Organising conferences and meetings.